We've had rain, we've had sun, we've continued building relationships, we've continued learning more of the language, we've shared Bible stories with some kids, we've taught the kids American football, we've played Suriname "futball", we've been pirhana fishing, we've been monkey hunting, we've been canoeing, we've turned into water rats always swimming in the river, we've been swinging in hammocks, we've been rope swinging, we've eaten more mangos and rice than you could imagine, we've eaten jungle meat and vegetables that I dont even know what they're called (with the exception of one vegetable I do remember the name of; they call it "poo"!) and of course we've seen plenty more snakes, taranchulas and bats; BUT, my most important discovery this past trip has been The Refiners Fire!
There is no doubt that coming to the jungle to share the love of Jesus is a true blessing. When the Lord began intensifying my desire to serve Him outside the United States, I had no clue He would lead me here, but I'm so glad He did. It's been good in a countless number of ways, from the breath taking views of Gods creation, to the beauty of the people we've met. The same words hold true that I used to describe our first trip in: "He has been so good to us."
Although the blessings pour forth day after day after day, I wouldn't be telling the whole story if I simply shared all the amazing things I've seen here and all the fun we've had along the way. Amidst all the excitement that comes along with living in the jungle, there obviously comes challenges; challenges that the Lord has used to refine my heart.
During our last trip, I found myself on several occasions suffering from different "illnesses". The first physical illness came after joining villagers at a wedding feast where rotten meat was served:) They called this one particular meat: dyumbo meti, which tranlates to: "jumping meat"; umping because its rotting:) The sad thing is, I didnt even know it. Everything on my plate tasted great; either because I was too hungry to tell, or they just know how to cook up a mean plate of rotten meat. Yum! During the second physically sickness, I found out that I got some kind of virus, which put me out of commission for a week and a half. I love my hammock, but this nasty guy had me swinging in there way more than I wanted to be. The third illness, I felt myself in the most pain yet after encountering my first spiritual sickness of the journey. The diagnosis for this sickness, as best as I could understand from the Lord....my pride. The cure: extra focus and prayer in regards to the true meaning of humilty and unconditional love; two characteristics that Christ eximplified above all else during His time on earth and two areas that I ofen lack in.
My medicine here has been found in no other place than the foot of the cross. Through it all, the Lord has drawn me ever so close. The words in James are so true, "Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (verses 2-4). There are definitely trials and struggles along the way, but praise be to God, the giver of all good gifts, who sees us through them. I hope and pray that through these trials, I now have a more empty, pure, refined and God glorifying heart. I've been comforted with the following verse from Ecclesiastes 7:14, "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider; God has made the one as well as the other."
After focusing more on the source of this illness, the Lord has already begun to renew my strength and my heart. A friend pointed me to Isaiah 43, where I found two verses that have been a constant source of encouragement: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. (verses 18-19)." I have clearly seen His hands at work. I do perceive this "new thing" that springs up. What a faithful God we have. He shows us our weaknesses and then shows us the answer and gives us the strength to conquer the attacks of this "dark world" (Ephesians 6).
A passage from one of my morning devotions: An old village blacksmith once said, "There is only one thing I fear: being thrown onto the scrap heap. You see, in order to strengthen a piece of steel, I must first temper it. I heat it, hammer it, and then quickly plunge it into a bucket of cold water. Very soon I know whether it will accept the tempering process or simply fall to pieces. If, after one or two tests, I see it will not allow itself to be tempered, I throw it onto the scrap heap only to later sell it to the junkman for a few cents per pound. I relaize the Lord tests me in the same way; through fire, water, and heavy blows of His hammer. If I am unwiling to withstand the test, or prove to be unfit for His tempering process, I am afraid He may throw me onto the scrap heap. When the fire in your life is the hottest, stand still, for later on it produces a harvest of blessings. Then we will be able to say with Job, "When He has tested me, I will come forth as gold. (23:10)" I pray there is gold to be seen in my life.
All of this is evidence of the Lord hearing and answering all of your many prayers. Thank you again for them. Please continue to go to the Father with confidence. He hears and and He ANSWERS!!! And for each of you, my prayer is from the mouth of the apostle Paul, "that your love may abound more and more in the knowledge of depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, FILLED WITH THE FRUIT IF RIGHTEOUSNESS that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God. Philippians 1:9-11)" Let us continue to run this race together...
Theres 3 new blogs below if you wanna check em' out...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am so thankful that the Lord brought you back to the city safe and sound. I am glad that your rope swing worked out well! :)
Taylor,
I am blessed by your life. You are in prayers. Can't believe this is what the Lord had in store for you either as we worked the Shores together. You are His servant in a mighty Big way and I'm proud to call you brother in Christ as you give glory to our Father.
I just finished reading your blogs and wanted you to know that I am praying for you. That God will give you the language,a spirit of discernment and protection while you live and share with the Aukaners.They are a beautiful people. Enjoy God's beautiful creation while you are in the jungle.
I miss being there.
I am so glad that God has been using you to glorify himself. I will continue to pray that God will be glorified in and through your life. God is more powerful than anything on earth and when Satan tries to tempt us we just need to look to God and he will guide us through those times. I will also pray that God will grant you opportunities to spread his name. And I will also pray that you will grow closer to God each and every day.
Hey Taylor,
Loving the beard, you look like a true jungle man. Well the stories sound great. Can't wait to be back with ya.
Will keep you in our prayers
The Piolt
Read all the updates. Thanks for the new requests. You are beautiful with a beard.
I love how God works in so many different ways around the globe!
kwood
so you said before that you wanted to grow a beard to look more like the natives...but from reading your blog/looking at your new pictures, i'm not seeing too many natives with beards. don't lie. you just wanted an excuse to grow a beard! :)
...continue to be safe and keep on keepin on.
Post a Comment