Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life In The Jungle Thus Far

The hardest part of the update email is trying to figure out what all to tell you about. It’s all so much fun and I never want to leave anything out, so I decided a list would be the next best thing aside from writing a really long blog. So…

We’ve continued worshiping on Sundays at two different villages (Moitaki and Pipa Konde). We have been able to use an audio recording device to share stories from the Aukan Bible here at Diitabiki. We got to help put a new wind generator on the radio tower at Lely Mountain to help increase the power to broadcast the gospel to the villages. I now have my testimony written out in Aukan and have been able to start sharing it. Two different groups of supervisors came into the jungle to hang out and check in on us. It was a true blessing to be able to share and learn from these godly men, who have a vast knowledge of the history and present day struggles/successes of the Aukan people. We got a chance to help a lot of folks in different ways around the village (cutting wood, working on their homes, working with their crops, etc.). We spent an entire day with a close friend and his family working in their planting ground (I wrote another blog on that whole experience if you’re interested in reading. It was an incredible day).

We’ve also got to go on our first big hunting trip, which lasted about 6 hours and was very different from any hunting I’ve done in the states. We trekked through the jungle for miles in search of different animals and birds. There was no waiting and sitting in a deer stand. We were rollin the whole time. And about twice a week we have been playing soccer near the air strip which has provided a wonderful opportunity to build relationships with some of the youth and 20 something year old guys.

Speaking of relationship building, two other areas that have helped tremendously has come on the river as we paddle around in our canoe and learn the ways of fishing in the jungle. The people love watching the two white boys paddle around everywhere. I think part of why they watch so much is that they are waiting for us to take a spill. Paddling and navigating around the river is a huge pride and joy for the people, as is catching fish. We learned how they catch one of their most prized fish (kumaloo) using empty soda bottles from the city. I’ve also been able to see how they set nets in the swamps of the jungle to catch fish and also how they tie lines and hooks from the roots and branches of trees close to the bank of the river in order to catch fish at night. Whenever we tell people that we’ve been catching fish, they always seem super surprised and ask, “Yu sabi uku?”, which is a short way of asking “You already know how to catch fish here?”. Then they follow up with “Efu you kisi wan, wan taa dae, yu sa chia mi wan peesi” (Next time you catch one, bring me someJ) It’s so cool learning from them and sharing life with them. The way we have been able to grow with the people is simply learning how they live and how they do life and then trying to come along side them, love them and befriend them, in hope to let the Lord use these relationships as opportunities to pour His love into their hearts.

That’s a short and abbreviated list of all that we have been investing in while in the jungles this past trip. And on a totally different subject, a lot of people have been asking about the food. We do bring a lot of our own food interior when we travel, but we also eat a lot of food that we find/catch/get as gifts from others. So I’ve accumulated our most updated list of jungle delicacies: Fish-kumaloo, yamaa and kube. Animals-kapasi (armadillo), caiman (alligator), bofu (buffalo sort of thing), diya (deer) and chickens feet. Fruit-mangos and watermelon. Seed like fruits-awaa, maipa, mope, jamu, podisieree and weko (which Ryan and I call snot rockets:) They are small seeds with a slimy film around them). Vegetables (the Aukaners call groontu)-sopolopo, kosabanti (stringed beans), poo, qwaka and cassava. Other-groontu udu (an edible tree), homemade pinda kasi (peanut butter which is unbelievably good) and handpicked and pounded rice. O yea and I ate a fish head for the first time last week, which is worthy of its own category. The most meet came from its cheek:)

I’m sure that I’m leaving out all sorts of other fun and exciting stories, but this does cover a large portion of them. Please continue to pray that through these experiences and adventures, that God use them to glorify His name! That’s what it’s all about. I’ll end with a John Piper quote that many of you may have heard from “Let the Nations be Glad” (a missions focused book). It’s been on my mind a lot and is a source of constant prayer for God to be glorified: “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him”. Pray that we be completely satisfied in the arms of our blessed Lord and Savior as we seek to love on these beautiful people whom the Lord sent His son to die for. God bless you all and thank you so much for your prayers and for taking the time to read and stay in touch with what God is doing in and through us. Please do not forget that you are a huge part of this journey and I thank the Lord for you always!

3 comments:

curlytop531 said...

What an amazing work you and Ryan are accomplishing!

Hannah said...

Hey! Sounds like you guys are having some awesome adventures and doing some really cool work. I'm lovin' reading about it. Lifting you up!

Unknown said...

I am in awe of the size of that frog...hahaha

can't wait to hear more!