In Matthew 7:7-8 it says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who ask receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” Only a couple weeks ago, we found ourselves doing just that: asking, seeking and knocking. And praise the Lord, He answered, we found and the door was opened wide.
As most of you already know, we have been praying for a long time about where the Lord wanted to send Ryan and I after language and culture study was complete. We’ll after our team from Knoxville left, we found ourselves (Charles, Brittany, Ryan and I) sitting around the kitchen table discussing possible locations for this next step of our journey.
Even though we had been praying hard for quite some time, no one really felt that the Lord had shown us exactly where He wanted us. And then came the challenge from Charles and Brittany. It was a Sunday afternoon and they told us we were heading back into the jungle on Wednesday. And that meant we needed to know where we were going! Not that we were putting the Lord on a time table, but the time had come for us to take our next step.
So Sunday night, we ended the day on our knees around their coffee table laying our requests at the feet or our Lord: “Father. The time has come. We know you have called us here to share the love of Jesus. Its time for us to take the next step. Show us where you want us. Its Your timing. Its Your planning. And its all for Your glory.
So we met together the next day, still with no specific answer, but a new idea was brought to the table. Charles and Brittany had been praying and discussing the idea of Ryan and I splitting up, at least for a few months and opening up the opportunity to plant more seeds. It wasn’t official, but there was now another request to lay at the feet of the Father: “Lord do you want us to split now for a time or remain together?”
Monday night we found ourselves on our knees around the coffee table yet again, pouring out our hearts to God. I was holding tight to the fact that He has told us in His word that if we ask anything in His name and according to His will, it will be given to us. I knew that my request was in His name and I knew for sure that it was according to His will, for we simply wanted to know who to go love on, who to go and share the gospel with. I felt comfort in this promise and knew God would come through, in His due time.
After we all prayed together, I found myself still unsure of the Lords plan, but completely at peace with knowing that He never breaks a promise. So we left their house and headed home. Before I went to sleep that night, I got down on my knees and prayed again, but not in any way I have ever prayed before. I asked the Lord that night, “Father, when I lay down to sleep, clear my mind and let not even one thought enter it that is not from you. I am asking for guidance still Father and tonight while Im sleeping, if You wish, reveal something to me in a dream. If that’s not how you want to reveal this next step to me that’s fine too.”
I was asleep in no time and during that 8 hours of rest, God answered. I woke up in the morning and the first thing that came back into my mind, was the man (an Aukan man) that the Lord had put in my dream. His name is Baa Tee, a believer from Pipa Konde, just across the river from Diitabiki. Pipa Konde is the place where I first went to church in the jungle. I was a little puzzled by this dream though, because I had been thinking and praying about so many of the villages along the river; some further away than others, but none in our neck of the woods. I didn’t even really think that it was an option to stay where I was. But the thought of staying at Diitabiki is something that had definitely been on my mind more than once before. God was placing a desire in my heart and He was beginning to affirm it. I simply asked the Lord to continue to guide me.
About an hour after getting up, the phone rang and it was Charles and Brittany. They told us we had a “team meeting” at noon at their house. Ryan and I both knew it was about our placement. I asked Ryan if he felt any guidance from the Lord. He said he did feel the Lord had shown him a village and then I shared my dream with him.
So the hour came and we were all circled around the table at the Shirey’s again. They said they felt like the Lord had shown them where we were supposed to be and they wanted to know what the Lord had shown us. With a big swallow and a deep breath Ryan told them that he felt like the Lord had laid Godoholo on his heart. They smiled and said the village they felt like the Lord wanted him at was, you guessed it…Godoholo! WHAT!?!!! How awesome was that. I was so excited….and then I remembered I was nextJ
They looked at me and waited for me to share. I told them I didn’t have an exact village, but I shared with them my dream about Baa Tee from the nearby village. I told them that I wasn’t exactly sure what that meant, because we had been praying about other villages along the river. But they knew exactly what it meant. They weren’t too surprised about Baa Tee being in my dream. They told me they felt like the Lord was telling them that I needed to stay exactly where I was, at Diitabiki, and continue on with the people there, and also at Pipa Konde, Lowabi and Sanbedoemie!!!
How unbelievably awesome is our God? Really?! How awesome He is!!! I know this will be a story that I can look back on for the rest of my life and be reminded of Gods faithfulness to His Word and His promises and also just how amazing He is. There are so many hundreds of ways all this could have worked out, but God listened to us, we listened to Him, we asked, we sought and we knocked. And He answered and opened the door. We found were the Lord wanted us. And I also found myself with a little more faith in my heart. Thank You Father!
So we headed interior to look for a place for Ryan and I to stay, our own place. But we also had to go and talk to the village leaders and get permission. Although Ive been at Diitabiki since January, Ive been on a small island right across from Diitabiki called Dataa Konde. I’ll now be living almost smack dab in the middle of Diitabiki, which Im really excited about.
The Lord provided a place for me to stay before we even got back in the jungle. A man named Baa Gabo, who used to live in Diitabiki had moved to the city. This is the guy we have been going to by Acai from. An extremely sought after berry they cut out of the jungle to make a healthy drink. Anyway, Baa Gabo said that it was no problem for me to move into the house, and He actually went back into the jungle with us to help us check it out, from it being vacant for 6 years.
As most of you already know, we have been praying for a long time about where the Lord wanted to send Ryan and I after language and culture study was complete. We’ll after our team from Knoxville left, we found ourselves (Charles, Brittany, Ryan and I) sitting around the kitchen table discussing possible locations for this next step of our journey.
Even though we had been praying hard for quite some time, no one really felt that the Lord had shown us exactly where He wanted us. And then came the challenge from Charles and Brittany. It was a Sunday afternoon and they told us we were heading back into the jungle on Wednesday. And that meant we needed to know where we were going! Not that we were putting the Lord on a time table, but the time had come for us to take our next step.
So Sunday night, we ended the day on our knees around their coffee table laying our requests at the feet or our Lord: “Father. The time has come. We know you have called us here to share the love of Jesus. Its time for us to take the next step. Show us where you want us. Its Your timing. Its Your planning. And its all for Your glory.
So we met together the next day, still with no specific answer, but a new idea was brought to the table. Charles and Brittany had been praying and discussing the idea of Ryan and I splitting up, at least for a few months and opening up the opportunity to plant more seeds. It wasn’t official, but there was now another request to lay at the feet of the Father: “Lord do you want us to split now for a time or remain together?”
Monday night we found ourselves on our knees around the coffee table yet again, pouring out our hearts to God. I was holding tight to the fact that He has told us in His word that if we ask anything in His name and according to His will, it will be given to us. I knew that my request was in His name and I knew for sure that it was according to His will, for we simply wanted to know who to go love on, who to go and share the gospel with. I felt comfort in this promise and knew God would come through, in His due time.
After we all prayed together, I found myself still unsure of the Lords plan, but completely at peace with knowing that He never breaks a promise. So we left their house and headed home. Before I went to sleep that night, I got down on my knees and prayed again, but not in any way I have ever prayed before. I asked the Lord that night, “Father, when I lay down to sleep, clear my mind and let not even one thought enter it that is not from you. I am asking for guidance still Father and tonight while Im sleeping, if You wish, reveal something to me in a dream. If that’s not how you want to reveal this next step to me that’s fine too.”
I was asleep in no time and during that 8 hours of rest, God answered. I woke up in the morning and the first thing that came back into my mind, was the man (an Aukan man) that the Lord had put in my dream. His name is Baa Tee, a believer from Pipa Konde, just across the river from Diitabiki. Pipa Konde is the place where I first went to church in the jungle. I was a little puzzled by this dream though, because I had been thinking and praying about so many of the villages along the river; some further away than others, but none in our neck of the woods. I didn’t even really think that it was an option to stay where I was. But the thought of staying at Diitabiki is something that had definitely been on my mind more than once before. God was placing a desire in my heart and He was beginning to affirm it. I simply asked the Lord to continue to guide me.
About an hour after getting up, the phone rang and it was Charles and Brittany. They told us we had a “team meeting” at noon at their house. Ryan and I both knew it was about our placement. I asked Ryan if he felt any guidance from the Lord. He said he did feel the Lord had shown him a village and then I shared my dream with him.
So the hour came and we were all circled around the table at the Shirey’s again. They said they felt like the Lord had shown them where we were supposed to be and they wanted to know what the Lord had shown us. With a big swallow and a deep breath Ryan told them that he felt like the Lord had laid Godoholo on his heart. They smiled and said the village they felt like the Lord wanted him at was, you guessed it…Godoholo! WHAT!?!!! How awesome was that. I was so excited….and then I remembered I was nextJ
They looked at me and waited for me to share. I told them I didn’t have an exact village, but I shared with them my dream about Baa Tee from the nearby village. I told them that I wasn’t exactly sure what that meant, because we had been praying about other villages along the river. But they knew exactly what it meant. They weren’t too surprised about Baa Tee being in my dream. They told me they felt like the Lord was telling them that I needed to stay exactly where I was, at Diitabiki, and continue on with the people there, and also at Pipa Konde, Lowabi and Sanbedoemie!!!
How unbelievably awesome is our God? Really?! How awesome He is!!! I know this will be a story that I can look back on for the rest of my life and be reminded of Gods faithfulness to His Word and His promises and also just how amazing He is. There are so many hundreds of ways all this could have worked out, but God listened to us, we listened to Him, we asked, we sought and we knocked. And He answered and opened the door. We found were the Lord wanted us. And I also found myself with a little more faith in my heart. Thank You Father!
So we headed interior to look for a place for Ryan and I to stay, our own place. But we also had to go and talk to the village leaders and get permission. Although Ive been at Diitabiki since January, Ive been on a small island right across from Diitabiki called Dataa Konde. I’ll now be living almost smack dab in the middle of Diitabiki, which Im really excited about.
The Lord provided a place for me to stay before we even got back in the jungle. A man named Baa Gabo, who used to live in Diitabiki had moved to the city. This is the guy we have been going to by Acai from. An extremely sought after berry they cut out of the jungle to make a healthy drink. Anyway, Baa Gabo said that it was no problem for me to move into the house, and He actually went back into the jungle with us to help us check it out, from it being vacant for 6 years.
The next step was talking with the Gaanman again. The Gaanman is kind of like the “President” for the Aukan people. So we went and visited and one thing I remember him saying more than anything else was this: “I see no problem in you coming across to stay. It’s needed. You can come and learn, but you must also give something in return.” I smiled inside from one ear to the other. I thought, yes sir. Ill surely be giving these people something…I’ll be sharing with them the love of the most incredible man to ever walk the face of this earth.
So in about a week, I’ll be back in Diitabiki and start working on fixing up the house with Charles. After I get settled in, the opportunities seem endless. Right now, the big focus is over the course of the next 4-6 months to chronologically story the Bible to the people from creation to Christ. There is a 40 story set that has been recorded that Ill be learning and sharing with the people. There will also be opportunities for discipleship as well, seeing that there are already some believers at Diitabiki.
I’m also blessed with the opportunity to continue meeting at Lowabi, where Charles and Brittany were able to start a church before their year back in the states. And all of you out there who know how much I love little kiddos…o man, they are every whereJ Everywhere! And theres a lot of soccer goin on at Diitabiki too, which will be an awesome way to continue building relationships with the young men there.
God, You are SO GOOD! Please be praying for the Lord to prepare the hearts of the people. Pray He draw those He wants to come and hear the gospel. Pray the Lord guide me each and everyday. That He show me who to love and how to love them. Where to invest and where to pour my heart out and His love out.
And please be praying for my Ryan as well. We went and visited Godoholo during our past trip and talked with the head captain there. We were very well received and they were very open to the idea of Ryan coming and staying with them. But they said that they needed to meet with all the other captains first. They said they would let us know the answer after they met. So go ahead and praise the Lord for the answer here. We know that’s where God wants Ryan, so we are just praising the Lord already for working everything out.
So…if you made it to the end of this blog…thanks so much for caring and for reading! It might be a while before I can blog again. We are planning on going back in until sometime in November, unless the Lord changes plans. So all of you out there praying…thank you!!!! Thank you so much. I hope that these blogs and updates are showing you that the Lord is hearing your prayers for us and the people. People are coming to faith in the Lord. God is guiding and protecting us. We have been blessed. God is working yall! God is working. Please continue praying. Pray that God be glorified and that God’s will be done. Pray that we be obedient to everything He calls us to. And please pray that we are daily being drawn closer to the Father. Take care and God bless.
4 comments:
Taylor!! That is so awesome man! I am so encouraged and excited for yall. Never underestimate the power of prayer coupled with the love of a Father for his children. He is clearly at work and I can´t wait to hear more stories. Know that your sisters are praying for you from the mountains of Bolivia. Now GO, and hold up your end of the bargain and give them that blessed hope of an everpresent savior and freind!!!!:)
Awesome brother!
We are still praying for you guys and joining you in the work. May the Lamb receive the rewards for His suffering as you proclaim and live the truth!
Tell Ryan greetings as well!
Taylor:
You make me enjoy the true health of the body of Christ. We love you and our church loves you too! Mandi and I are so excited to be connected to what God is doing in Suriname.
1 Cor. 9:19-23...glad you can live that out! And don't forget 1 Cor. 3..."Apollos planted it, I [Paul] watered it, but God makes it grow."
God makes it grow. You just show up. All glory and honor and praise to our Savior whose goodness never fails and who loves us beyond our capacity to understand.
They will see Christ according to the timing of the Spirit. Keep being bold!
LOVE YOU MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will
Post a Comment