Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Day In the Life...If There Is Such A Thing

So, Ive tried thinking of exactly what a day in the life here really looks like and I finally came to the realization that there are really never two days quite the same. But I thought Id take you through what a “typical” day here at Diitabiki might look like:

I usually wake up in the morning between 6:30-7:00, not always to an alarm, which I had come quite accustomed to in the States. Now I often wake up to one of three things: 1) The roosters. Yep, they are here too. 2) The women hussling and bussling in the morning getting ready to go to the planting grounds or 3) The sound of wet clothes being thrown on top of my roof to dry. Yea, my roof acts a “dryer” for one of my neighbors...every morning:)

So after getting up and laying the day before the Father, I gather my stuff and head to the river to have my quiet time and wash. I usually pass by one of the men who makes bread and I buy a piece. Its one kolu, which is equivalent to about 33 cents USD. Ill eat the bread on the way to the river, but Ive also got my eyes peeled for ripe mangos that fell the night before. After giving about 10 or 20 good morning greetings, I finally make it to the head of the island where there is a huge spread of rocks where the men go to bathe.

Before hopping in the river to wash I sit down on a special little rock that serves as my little lazy boy, a little harder than the normal ones, but it does quite well. I do my quite time, eat my mango and watch the kids come by in boats on their way to school. The school at Diitabiki has kids from about 8 neighboring villages, so I get to see about 200 kids pass by every morning while Im sitting there on my little rock. After all this, Ill head back to my home and spend some more time in prayer and doing a little journaling.

Next comes clean up, which sometimes take as little as 30 minutes and sometimes as long as an hour and a half. The village basically has a dirt floor after all the years of walking on it. So its very custom and expected to rake and clean up your dirt “yard”, or the area surrounding your home. So after raking outside, sweeping inside my home and washing a few dishes, Ill take a trip around the village and give more morning greetings. Everyone wants to know you woke well and slept well the night before, so their way of saying good morning translates to, “You woke”. And you respond by saying, “Yes I woke. And you woke too.” They’ll always say, “Yes, I woke too.” Doesnt sound very original I know, but "good morning" isnt the most creative thing for us American folk either:)

After the morning routines and greetings, the late morning and early afternoon consist of lending a helping hand with work during the day trying to build relationships, or if there is no work going on, I learn more of my Aukan Bible stories. Working can be anything from hauling wood out of the jungle, to helping in the planting grounds, or any other work that someone may need help with. As for learning the stories, I have about 25 more stories to learn to finish the 40 Story Creation to Christ story set, but I am also working on other stories for the radio station Bible hour and for the mens group that meets at Lowabi.

During the late afternoon, I might still be working, maybe playing soccer, or just relaxing and studying in the hammock. Then the last hour or two of day light is often spent out on the river trying to catch dinner (peacock bass) and enjoying another new river sunset, which never gets old. After dinner, every night with the exception of one or two nights, is spent doing some type of ministry, most often Bible Storying. Sometimes I share at my home, sometimes on the radio, sometimes at other villages, sometimes with kids and sometimes with adults. But one way or the other, the gospel is spread.

And as the day comes to an end, I find myself heading back to the river for another wash. I really love these times. Sometimes I have breath holding contests with the kids, sometimes we have swimming contests, most of the time we kung fu wrestle in the water, sometimes I just sit and talk with the men about the day and other times Im just by myself gazing at the stars and spending some good alone time with the Lord.

Afterwards, Ill usually head back to the house for some more journaling by the lantern. Then with heavy eyes, I pray my last prayer and hop in the hammock, which I have grown to love. Thank you Clark Jungle Hammocks!!! I pop in the ipod some nights, others I just listen to the animals or the rain on the roof. Before you know it, the wet clothes are being thrown back on your roof and it’s a brand new day:) And that my friends is: A Day In The Life…If There Is Such A Thing.

As of late, Ive had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the Shireys who are in the jungle right now too. Its always fun doing ministry along side them. It’s a blessing to be able to work with them in Gods kingdom building. And Ryan is only an hour boat ride away, so its always fun to go and see him too and see the work he is involved in there. I got to visit him just last week and now he is in the gold mines for a few days with one of his friends in his village. I'll be heading there next week with a fellow Aukan believer. Ill be there for about two weeks and then be back to Diitabiki to start back up with the Bible storying.

Please keep prayin for us all, including Jared and Wendy who are now working with the Saramaacan people in the jungle, as we seek to spread the love of the Lord Jesus Christ with these beautiful people. Take care and God bless.

No comments: